I might be a little obsessed with appetizers. If we go out to a restaurant, I rarely order an actual entree — sharing 10 appetizers is always so much more fun! Give me a dip and chips, and I’m happy as a clam.
Whenever we’re invited to a party or bbq, I try to bring stuff I’ll eat; you know, just in case the hostess chose poorly or invited salad lovers. I mean, really, who wants to be known as the “salad bringer”?
But this dip? Oh em gee. This buffalo chicken dip is hands down my most requested dish to bring to a party, and oh btw, it’s so freakin’ easy to make too. I’ve held the recipe close to my heart for the last few years, but as I’m feeling generous today, here you go. You’re welcome.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked chicken (or all the white meat from one rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 handfuls shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread softened cream cheese on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish (sprayed w/ PAM). Free free to use your (washed) hands for this, as cream cheese rarely likes to cooperate. Light cream cheese is perfectly fine for this, but don’t use fat free – people will notice.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces (or shred finely), and combine it with the melted butter and wing sauce. Feel free to add more wing sauce to taste – you want it saucy.
- Dump the chicken mixture on top of the cream cheese and spread into an even layer.
- Blob ranch dressing all over this and smoosh it around as well, getting it into all the crevices of the chicken/wing mixture.
- Drizzle a little more wing sauce on the top of the ranch in fun designs, because…why not?
- Top with 2 handfuls of shredded cheese, but don’t get too heavy-handed. You don’t want your guests breaking chips left and right from a thick layer of cheese. Use any kind of shredded cheese you’d like – my favorite is the Mexican blend, but mozzarella and cheddar are both good. Again, light or 2% cheese is fine, but don’t use fat free. It won’t melt correctly, and people will notice.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes to avoid giving your guests blistered mouths, and serve with sturdy chips and sliced veggies. My favorites are the Tostitos Multigrain Scoops, sliced cucumbers, and celery slices.